About the Southern Highlands Community Hospice
Improved personalised access to palliative care services in the Southern Highlands. The charity is underpinned by a dynamic team of Volunteers, a profitable fundraising retail outlet and a strong community commitment.
To fund a range of services that will enable compassionate support for people of the Southern Highlands Community requiring palliative care.
The Southern Highlands Community Hospice (SHCH) was established in 2010 as a charitable organisation, to provide hospice and palliative care services for the Southern Highlands community.
Currently we fund services that include:
- Additional Palliative care nursing at the two Harbison Care Aged Care facilities.
- CanAssist patients after reaching the $3,000 CanAssist funding threshold.
- All accommodation and medical costs for end-of-life patients without private healthcare at the Southern Highlands Private Hospital.
- Funding additional palliative care nursing, carer support and associated equipment hire costs for those choosing to die at home.
- One-off payments to fund vital medical equipment to palliative care patients to optimise their quality of life.
Currently we support patients with these palliative care initiatives:
- Funding for palliative medications up to $5,000 per year, per patient.
- Specially trained Palliative Care Volunteers to support residents in aged care facilities.
- A free biography service that documents the client and their families’ memories, photographs, and stories.
- End-of-life planning and bereavement counselling services.
The funds to support these initiatives are raised through the turnover generated in our bespoke ‘Timeless Fashion & Furniture’ retails store on Bong Bong Street, Bowral and through monetary donations, sponsorships and bequests.